More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Social Worker (Masters) - Casual - BC Children's & BC Women's Hospitals.
Social Worker (Masters) - Casual
BC Children's Hospital & BC Women's Hospitals
Social Workers are an integral part of the clinical team assisting patients and families with the social and emotional impacts of hospitalization, a medical condition, perinatal care, disability or attending one of our clinics.
As the Social Worker with our team, you will provide support in both BC Children's Hospital & BC Women's Hospital (C&W) and across various programs/departments
- Counselling support for patient, families and groups
- Crisis intervention
- Financial and practical assistance as well as community liaison and advocacy
Check out the incredible role Social Workers hold with our heathcare teams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Il2exGH-A
What you’ll do
- Conduct comprehensive psycho-social and family assessments by methods such as interviewing the child and family, obtaining relevant information, gathering social data regarding the child and family and formulation of assessment and plan of intervention, in accordance with professional practice standards and clinical policies.
- Support the child and their family by understanding the nature and treatment of the presenting issues by providing education, short-term counselling and crisis intervention to families and other relevant caregivers.
- Provide comprehensive clinical counselling with individuals, families and groups by focusing on the child’s and family’s social, emotional and cultural needs, including adjustment to diagnosis and treatment decisions, loss of functioning and dealing with emotional and family crises in the context of evidence based care.
- Support the child and their families by organizing and facilitating psycho-educational and counselling groups.
- Facilitate in complex discharge planning with the team, patient, family and community agencies by coordinating regular meetings to ensure psycho-social follow-up.
What you bring
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited School of Social Work.
- Minimum 1 year recent related experience with children and their family with a health or disabling condition relevant to the service area within BC Children’s Hospital and Sunny Hill Health Centre including clinical skills in assessment, crisis intervention, therapeutic interventions, individual, group and family counseling; must include experience in mental health, child protection, child development, intimate partner violence, chronic health conditions, disabilities, and grief and loss in a health care or hospital setting; or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
We welcome applicants from across Canada and Internationally who are eligible for full regisistration with the BC College of Social Workers
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (12) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement. (eligibility will vary)
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Casual (0.01 FTE)
Wage: $35.65 to $44.56 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Per Rotation; 0800-1630 / 1530 - 0000 hours
Requisition Number: CASUAL MSW C&W
What we do
Children's and Women's Hospitals (C&W) is comprised of BC Children's Hospital, Sunny Hill Health Centre and BC Women's Hospital & Helath Centre.
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia.
Sunny Hill Health Centre (SHHC) bcchildrens.ca/our-services/sunny-hill-health-centre provides specialized development and rehabilitation to B.C. children and youth and their families.
BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.