More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Social Worker (Masters), Emergency Department & Pediatric ICU - BC Children's Hospital
Social Worker (Masters) - Emergency Department & Pediatric ICU
BC Children's Hospital
Our social workers are an integral part of the clinical team assisting patients and families with the social and emotional impacts of hospitalization, a medical condition, perinatal care, disability or attending one of our clinics.
As a Social Worker with our team, you will provide support in both BC Children's Hospital's Emergency Department and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU):
- Counselling support for patient, families and groups
- Crisis intervention
- Financial and practical assistance as well as community liaison and advocacy
Check out the incredible role Social Workers hold with our heathcare teams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Il2exGH-A
What you’ll do
- Conduct comprehensive psycho-social and family assessments by methods such as interviewing the child and family, obtaining relevant information, gathering social data regarding the child and family and formulation of assessment and plan of intervention, in accordance with professional practice standards and clinical policies.
- Support the child and their family by understanding the nature and treatment of the presenting issues by providing education, short-term counselling and crisis intervention to families and other relevant caregivers.
- Provide comprehensive clinical counselling with individuals, families and groups by focusing on the child’s and family’s social, emotional and cultural needs, including adjustment to diagnosis and treatment decisions, loss of functioning and dealing with emotional and family crises in the context of evidence based care.
- Support the child and their families by organizing and facilitating psycho-educational and counselling groups.
- Facilitate in complex discharge planning with the team, patient, family and community agencies by coordinating regular meetings to ensure psycho-social follow-up.
What you bring
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited School of Social Work.
- Minimum 1 year recent related experience with children and their family with a health or disabling condition relevant to the service area within BC Children’s Hospital and Sunny Hill Health Centre including clinical skills in assessment, crisis intervention, therapeutic interventions, individual, group and family counseling; must include experience in mental health, child protection, child development, intimate partner violence, chronic health conditions, disabilities, and grief and loss in a health care or hospital setting; or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (12) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Wage: $35.65 to $44.56 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Rotation; 0800-1630 / 1530 - 2400 hours (Pediatric ICU/Emergency/BCCH Site on weeekends)
Requisition Number: 107990
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for REF 107990. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.