More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Social Worker (Masters), Emergency Department - BC Children's Hospital
Social Worker (Masters), Emergency
BC Children's Hospital
BC Children's Hospital's Social Workers are part of the interdiscpilinary team supporting assessments,interventions, discharge planning and facilitation in collaboration with the patient, family, and community.
Check out the incredible role Social Workers hold with our heathcare teams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Il2exGH-A
As the Social Worker, you will:
- Conduct comprehensive mental health, substance use, and family assessments by methods such as interviewing the patient and family, obtaining relevant information, gathering social data regarding the patient and family, and formulation of assessment and plan of intervention, in accordance with professional practice standards and clinical policies.
- Provide mental health clinical intervention in the context of evidence-based care to children, youth, women and their families through individual, family and group therapy.
- Support patients and their families by providing education, short-term counselling and crisis intervention during the adjustment to hospitalization, new diagnosis of mental health and/or substance use issues, and change or loss in mental health functioning.
- Facilitate comprehensive discharge planning with the team, patient, family and community agencies to ensure psycho-social follow-up.
- Establish and maintain effective collaborative and constructive liaison relationships with a variety of individuals and groups, including patients and families, community providers, MCFD social workers, schools, hospitals and other agencies, in order to coordinate services across the continuum of health care.
What you bring
- Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited School of Social Work, including relevant graduate level mental health courses and mental health practicum.
- Minimum one (1) year recent related clinical experience working within a child, youth and women's mental health and substance use setting relevant to the service area within BC Children's; must include experience in child protection, child development and grief and loss, women's issues, women abuse and harm reduction model; or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Two Temporary-Part Time (0.70 FTE, until Dec 1, 2021)
Wage: $35.65 to $44.56 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Req# 108695 - Sunday to Wednesday; 0830-1630, alternating Wednesdays
Req# 108701 - Wednesday to Saturday; 0830-1630, alternating Wednesdays
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) bcchildrens.ca provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia.
BCCH is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCH are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting is longer accessible. Please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for Req# 108695 or Req# 108701. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.