More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Specialist, Business Intelligence - BC Cancer Vancouver
Business Intelligence, Data & Analytics
BC Cancer Vancouver
Reporting to the Sr Manager, Cancer Analytics and Performance Management, the Specialist, BI is responsible for the planning, design, development and management of new and existing data warehouse and analytics solutions related to BC Cancer. Applying a broad range of information technology experience, Data Warehousing (DW), Business Intelligence (BI), and clinical and operational knowledge, the Business Intelligence Specialist works with stakeholders to develop analytical products that meet their analytical, reporting, monitoring, surveillance and evaluation needs. This position plans, designs, and develops BI and analytical solutions, including data Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) processes, data marts, reports and dashboards as part of the overall PHSA Enterprise Data Warehouse, with specific focus on developing tabular models and creating dashboards using Power BI. This position ensures the integrity and quality of the data accessible through these solutions, and also manages and maintains the metadata and other product documentations.
The Specialist provides input to the overall goals, objectives and operations of the department by providing feedback and recommendations specifically with respect to BI issues. The Specialist works across all levels of BC Cancer providing leadership and support in the area of BI development/maintenance and information reporting via dashboards, scorecards or reports.
What you’ll do
- Architect and implement leading edge solutions to develop, enhance and improve the Business Intelligence solutions. This includes leading the design, creation, documentation and implementation of complex multidimensional cubes, or other semantic models, reports and front-end interfaces.
- Provide technical expertise in the development of the Analytics and Business Intelligence Solutions by assessing client needs/requirements, reviewing technical options, determining the design and architecture and leading all levels of the solution development and deployment.
- Maintain familiarity with the latest on-premises and cloud analytics technologies and an awareness of current information system trends and issues. Evaluate and recommend products or methods to deliver Analytics and Business Intelligence in an accurate, timely and user friendly manner.
- Mentor other developers and team members and provides technical and educational support to BI end users by developing training materials, delivering training sessions and training trainers.
- Collaborate with members PHSA Performance Measurement and Reporting’s Data Architect and Data Integration team on conceptual design of databases and the development and implementation of solutions in the Enterprise Data Warehouse. Works with IMITS departmental staff and others to manage and maintain the BI servers and applications including system administration, maintenance and performance monitoring of various servers to ensure optimal uptime and production readiness.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Health Information Science, Business, Computer Science or Management Information Systems from a recognized school plus a minimum of five (5) years of recent related BI work experience preferably in a healthcare environment.
You will also have:
- Expert knowledge and understanding of relational and multidimensional (OLAP) databases as well as proven knowledge and experience in working with SQL Server or Integration Services (SSIS), Analysis Services (SSAS), Reporting Services (SSRS), Performance Point, Sharepoint, Visual Studio , etc. Experience in the development and maintenance of popular BI platforms including Power BI and Tableau.
- The ability to create and understand complex T-SQL and MDX queries and previous administrative experience setting up new users and monitoring performance.
- Proficiency in scripting and computer programming foundations.
- A high level of expertise in Microsoft Office suite of applications.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and spiritual and psychological health & safety programs.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike-sharing, and more.
686 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V5Z 1G1
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0900-1700
Requisition Number: 113566
What we do
BC Cancer bccancer.bc.ca provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of August 31, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.