More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Specialist Business Intelligence Performance Measurement and Reporting
Reporting to the Lead, Data Architecture, the Specialist, Business Intelligence is responsible for the planning, design, development and management of new and existing data warehouse and analytics solutions related to various PHSA programs and services. Applying a broad range of information technology experience, Data Warehousing (DW), Business Intelligence (BI), and clinical and operational knowledge, the Business Intelligence Specialist works with stakeholders to develop analytical products that meet their analytical, reporting, monitoring, surveillance and evaluation needs. This position plans, designs, and develops BI and analytical solutions, including data Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) processes, data marts, reports and dashboards as part of the overall PHSA Enterprise Data Warehouse. This position ensures the integrity and quality of the data accessible through these solutions, and also manages and maintains the metadata and other product documentations.
What you’ll do:
- Architect and implement analytics solutions to develop, enhance and improve analytics and use of data at various PHSA programs and external stakeholders. This includes leading the design, development, documentation and implementation of complex data marts, multidimensional cubes or other semantic models, reports, dashboards and other front-end interfaces.
- Architect and implement optimal database schemas and ETL solutions to integrate data from various source systems into integrated linked data marts. Collaborate with other members of the team on conceptual design, development, and implementation of the Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Lead the identification of new data sources and implements data extraction routines from departmental feeder systems. Provides advice and direction on data availability and quality. Consults and problem-solves with feeder departments regarding routine data extracts.
- Participate in the development, definition and reporting of performance indicators as related to program operations, access and throughput, for use at the program director and executive level. Liaise on behalf of the agency with external consultants on the provisioning of patient specific data, as well as providing education on analysis and interpretation.
- Provide technical expertise in the development of Analytics and Business Intelligence solutions by assessing client needs and requirements, reviewing technical options, determining the design and architecture and leading all levels of the solution development and deployment.
- Ensure the designed solutions meet the established architectural, security, and quality standards set by the department by actively engaging peers and leads in design and review processes. Maintain current metadata, definitions and documentation of the solutions.
- Maintain familiarity with the latest on-premises and cloud analytics technologies, and an awareness of current clinical and business information system trends and issues. Evaluate and recommend products or methods to deliver analytics and Business Intelligence in an accurate, timely and user friendly manner.
- Mentor other developers and team members and provide technical and educational support to end users by developing training materials, delivering training sessions and training trainers.
- Represent Performance Measurement & Reporting on committees at various levels with regard to data standards, appropriate usage, availability and quality.
What you bring:
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Health Information Science, Management Information Systems or a related field, plus 5 years of recent BI, data warehousing, data modelling or analytics experience. Strong understanding of health care system operations and public and population health concepts is definite asset.
- Advanced knowledge, and experience in application of best practices of data standards, database design, data architecture and modelling.
- Expertise in developing ETL solutions, relational and multi-dimensional databases and data marts.
- Superior database querying, and query optimization skills using Structured Query Language -preferably T-SQL, MDX or DAX or equivalents.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with BI and visualizations tools such as Microsoft Power BI, and Tableau, and collaboration solutions such as SharePoint.
- Proven hands-on experience with standard data warehousing and Business Intelligence tools such as Microsoft SQL Server, Integration Services (SSIS), Analysis Services (SSAS), Reporting Services (SSRS), and related development tools and version control tools, or comparable technologies from other vendors.
- Working knowledge of big data technologies, data science methods and languages such as (Python, R) and Windows and web application development tools and languages is an asset. High level of expertise in Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology with internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze operational problems and recommend innovative solutions.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and system analysis skills including the ability to comprehend complex large scale health care environment operational issues and related data/information and present information in concise meaningful ways.
- Customer focused with ability to facilitate and encourage cooperation between professionals from other disciplines.
- Ability to understand management reporting and statistical concepts.
- Ability to educate and lead management staff on the importance of using high quality data for decision making, via business intelligence tools and other means.
- Self-directed and motivated to learn new tools and technology.
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job. Persistence and a positive attitude are essential given the iterative development cycle and sometimes problematic data integration issues.
What’s in it for you:
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type: Regular Full-Time
Number of positions: 3
Location: 1333 W. Broadway Vancouver, BC
Closing date: Open until positions are filled
Reference number: 90280
What we do:
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services.
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.