More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Specialist, Organ Donation - BC Transplant
Specialist, Organ Donation
The Organ Donation Specialist functions as an integral part of the Organ Donation and Hospital Development (ODHD) Team, and as a provincial resource to critical care providers, assisting them through the various stages of organ donation and transplantation, including donor assessment and family support. This position is also responsible for the compilation and analysis of data for Quality Assurance, and for the formal development and delivery of educational programs on solid organ donation for health care professionals throughout the province of British Columbia (BC).
What you’ll do
- Perform a variety of functions related to organ donation from deceased donors such as receiving and evaluating solid organ donor referrals, ensuring the option of donation is offered appropriately to every BC resident.
- Support families through the donation process by enabling them to make an informed decision and striving to provide a positive and meaningful donation experience.
- Provide expert consultation and guidance on donation related practice issues to staff working in critical care areas including physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers and pastoral care staff, as the provincial resource on organ donation, retrieval and transplant.
- Coordinate and organize timely investigative screening procedures and diagnostics tests with laboratories, agencies and hospital departments.
- In collaboration with transplant program, determine suitability of organs for transplantation and identify appropriate recipients abiding by national organ sharing agreements.
- Be responsible for logistical arrangements of the organ recovery across the province of BC.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in a Health Sciences Program.
- Three to five (3-5) years of critical care or organ donation experience.
- Certification or equivalent experience in the education of public and health-care personnel.
- Designation as a healthcare professional in the critical care setting (nursing or respiratory therapy) preferred.
Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrated the ability to negotiate and facilitate consensus within the donation and transplantation stakeholder community
- Knowledge and abilities in the areas of program development and implementation, quality improvement, leadership, management and professional education, including knowledge of adult education principles and methods
- Compassionate, dedicated and professional leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and establish effective working relationships within the multi-disciplinary hospital environment
- Ability to manage numerous concurrent tasks in a high stress environment
- The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Sight Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Two (2) Regular, Full-time Opportunities
Salary Range: $67,864 - $97,555. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate’s relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan. Salary will be prorated accordingly for part time roles
Location: 555 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver BC V5Z 3X7
Hours of work: Monday to Friday; 0800-1600 office plus oncall evenings and weekends
Requisition #: 137732E & 137735E
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Transplant (BCT) provides oversight for all aspects of organ donation and transplantation across BC.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCT are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of December 16, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.