More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Specialist, Organ Donation - BC Transplant
Specialist, Organ Donation
BC Transplant, Vancouver BC
BC Transplant is focused on increasing the availability of organs for transplantation in British Columbia.
What you’ll do
- Perform a variety of functions related to organ donation from deceased donors such as receiving and evaluating solid organ donor referrals, ensuring the option of donation is offered appropriately to every BC resident.
- Support families through the donation process by enabling them to make an informed decision and striving to provide a positive and meaningful donation experience.
- Provide expert consultation and guidance on donation related practice issues to staff working in critical care areas including physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers and pastoral care staff, as the provincial resource on organ donation, retrieval and transplant.
- Coordinate and organize timely investigative screening procedures and diagnostics tests with laboratories, agencies and hospital departments.
- In collaboration with transplant program, determine suitability of organs for transplantation and identify appropriate recipients abiding by national organ sharing agreements.
- Be responsible for logistical arrangements of the organ recovery across the province of BC.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in a Health Sciences Program;
- Three to five (3-5) years of critical care or organ donation experience;
- Certification or equivalent experience in the education of public and/or as a health-care professional
- Designation as a healthcare professional in the critical care setting (nursing respiratory therapy, social work, Physician's Assistant, Nurse Practitioner) preferred.
- Demonstrated the ability to negotiate and facilitate consensus within the donation and transplantation stakeholder community
- Knowledge and abilities in the areas of program development and implementation, quality improvement, leadership, management and professional education, including knowledge of adult education principles and methods
- Compassionate, dedicated and professional leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and establish effective working relationships within the multi-disciplinary hospital environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage numerous concurrent tasks in a high stress environment
- The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
555 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0800-1600 plus particpation in 24/7 on call schedule.
Requisition Number: 107934
What we do
BC Transplant (BCT) provides oversight for all aspects of organ donation and transplantation across BC.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of May 11, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.