Switchboard Operator (UBC)Apply Now Apply Later
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence.
These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Reference # 73376
Temporary, Part time (0.53 FTE until November 2018)
Wage: $22.05 per hour
UBC Vancouver, BC
Under the supervision of the Manager, Switchboard Services or designate, the Switchboard Operator functions as the first point of contact to the public while operating a multi-line computerized hospital switchboard console, public address, and paging systems; accepts and directs calls from a variety of customers according to established policies, standards and procedures for multiple healthcare facilities of the Provincial Health Services Authority, Vancouver Coastal Health, and Providence Health Care, while playing a significant role in ensuring that callers have a positive experience.
The Switchboard Operator responds to various hospital alarms (including patient related code alarms) and carries out established emergency procedures. Performs routine updates to the switchboard directory and on call scheduling databases in accordance with established department guidelines utilizing database, word-processing, and spreadsheet software.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Operates a multi-line computerized switchboard console by:
- Answering all calls, acknowledging the caller, listening attentively, and asking questions to clarify the caller’s inquiry;
- Transferring phone calls to appropriate locals, providing information, and responding to the caller’s needs in a prompt and courteous manner;
- Responds to each hospital alarm (emergency and non-emergency) in a timely manner as per established guidelines. (ie: fire, arrest, medical stat call, bomb threat, elevator.)
- Operates Public Address system as per established guidelines.
- Operates paging system to page Doctors, Nurses and other on-call staff as required per established guidelines.
- Provides TTD service for hearing impaired customers by utilizing a Telecommunications device.
- Updates related switchboard databases and documents such as switchboard directory, and paging and on-call schedules by entering provided information as per established guidelines.
Education, Experience and Training
- Grade 12
- One (1) year's recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to keyboard at 45 wpm.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate required equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the “Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile athttp://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk email@example.com a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.