More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
TB Outbreak Registered Nurse, TB Outreach - BC Centre for Disease Control
TB Outbreak Registed Nurse
TB Outreach, BC Centre for Disease Control, $36.23 to $47.58 per hour
Two opportunities available
What you’ll do
- Assist with TB disease outbreak and new cluster investigations by monitoring active cases, conducting testing, conducting surveillance follow-ups, administering immunizations and medications, monitoring laboratory reports for new cases and contacts; providing information about the disease process and prevention measures to individuals, physicians and the public.
- Provide nursing services in person or by virtual means related to the assessment of individuals presenting with or at risk for TB by methods such as interviewing clients and taking history, gathering data appropriate to clinical assessment and diagnosis, involving client in a risk assessment for TB.
- Communicate test results to individuals with TB or LTBI, providing instructions, supportive counselling and assisting clients understanding of disease and treatment with information and education.
- Interview TB infected individuals to collect all available information regarding contact for a specific period of time; using information collected and investigative skills when information is limited to find named contacts.
- Inform named contacts in person or by telephone that they have been exposed to someone with positive TB results and what action is recommended, and ensuring that confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- Communicate with assigned contacts, obtain symptom information, refer and support contacts for testing, and provides instructions for quarantine.
- Follow up with contacts to document required testing and treatment, and provide information and guidance to interrupt ongoing transmission and reduce spread of the disease.
- Communicate test results to non-infected individuals and reinforces appropriate infection control practices to prevent any potential future transmission of disease.
What you bring
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Venipuncture certification or equivalency.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license to operate a vehicle within the Province of British Columbia. Ability to access fleet vehicles or access to a vehicle for local area travel.
- Travel within the Lower Mainland is required, and will be compensated in accordance with applicable collective agreement language.
** Our TB Outreach Nurses will be partnered with a colleague when working in community.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the BCCNM standards for RN nursing practice.
- Broad knowledge of communicable disease control practices and procedures including: prevention, promotion, reporting responsibilities and related procedures.
- Broad knowledge of community development and health promotion principles and practices and the determinants of health.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct relevant assessments.
- Working knowledge of immunization protocols.
- The ability to successfully complete the Provincial Immunization Certification.
- Demonstrated ability to deal sensitively and tactfully with clients and provide culturally-sensitive services to diverse and marginalized populations.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary Full-time (until Dec 31, 2021)
$36.23 to $47.58 per hour
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0800-1600/0830-1630
Requisition Number: 108108 & 108109
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of May 9, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.