More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Toxicologist - BC Centre for Disease Control
Environmental Health, BC Centre for Disease Control, Vancouver BC
What you’ll do
- Design and implement appropriate testing, sampling protocols/procedures, on how best to proceed in determining/measuring environmental hazards, exposure levels and matters related to environmental health (such as risks to health from physical, chemical and biological hazards in the environment. It includes air, food, water, other environmental media and those arising from products and processes that may result in human exposure) in response to requests received from regional health authorities, ministries and health care professionals/officials.
- Provide expert advice, information and consultation to both internal and external clients, on complex questions related to environmental science, environmental health issues, food and water safety, exposure assessment, toxicology, events such as chemical spills, new chemicals, or urgent events based on a review, assessment and synthesis of the latest relevant scientific research, scientific findings or developments in other jurisdictions. Design, conduct, implement and analyze exposure and health risk data and health assessment studies for clients.
- Develop and maintain relationships with regional health authorities, provincial ministries, academic institutions, professional societies, as well as other relevant provincial, national and international organizations with scientific functions relevant to environmental health, in order to share information, subject matter expertise, and to provide science-based responses to clients’ complex questions.
- Lead interdisciplinary project/work teams and monitors project team activity against project plans. Identifies and resolves issues. Provide guidance and leadership to project teams.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Master’s degree in a discipline related to environmental toxicology, chemical risk assessment, or to occupational and environmental health.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience after completion of degree in practical application of knowledge to environmental health science problems arising in front line public health settings.
You will have:
- Knowledge of environmental science, and a particular focus on toxicology, exposure and chemical risk assessment, environmental fate and transport, food and water safety, built environment and health links, contaminated site assessment and remediation, industrial and occupational hygiene, or use and interpretation of biomarkers.
- Knowledge of scientific protocols, practices/procedures in order to design, implement and conduct qualitative and quantitative chemical risk assessments and health assessment studies for clients that will be rigorous enough to withstand third party scrutiny.
- Knowledge of environmental health practice, policy and legislation, emerging trends and research topics.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, provide expert advice and assistance to stakeholders on complex questions related to environmental science and health issues.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition Number: 104789
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of March 9, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.