More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Unit Clerk, Oncology Clinic - Ambulatory Care - BC Cancer - Vancouver
Unit Clerk, Oncology Clinic - Ambulatory Care
What you’ll do
- Transcribe and process clinician orders by completing and forwarding requisitions for tests or services, using the electronic health record system to schedule; tests or services with the appropriate departments/processes; return appointments, appointments of various types and related data into the electronic health record, and communicates various information according to procedure.
- Organize diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients by co-ordinating numerous interrelated appointments. Prepare and communicate related instructions to patients in person, by telephone, by mail or virtual.
- Gather patient information for medical appointments to assist in facilitating an efficient patient flow. Request, receive and transport patient information to designated clinical area. Prepare documents for clinical team and patient.
- Perform a variety of receptionist duties such as greeting and registering patients and supporting way finding, answering the telephone/switchboard and responding in person by triage inquiries, relaying verbal and written messages.
- Participate in the onboarding and orientation of staff through methods such as demonstrating work procedures and answering related queries. Support student clinical practicums as required
- Maintain a safe environment for patients, families and staff by adhering to safety policies and standards and emergency procedures.
- Participate as a collaborative member of the health care team.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Grade 12, medical terminology
- Graduation from a recognized Nursing Unit Clerk Program
- One (1) year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will also have
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to keyboard 40 w.p.m.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer software applications.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Location: 600 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 4E6
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday, 0800-1600/0830-1630/0930-1730
Requisition # 152020E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 19, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.