More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Unit Clerk, Oncology Clinic - BC Cancer - Vancouver
Unit Clerk, Oncology Clinic
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Multiple Opportunities Available!
As the first friendly face on the unit, you are regularly recognized by your colleagues for your genuine balance of keen observation skills, compassionate communications, and enviable organizational talent. You have a natural gift of managing the “day-to-day” while daring to imagine new processes to streamline, clarify, and keep the focus on what’s most important: the people. When priority tasks seem to be multiplying, you maintain your composure along with your unwavering kindness and compassion for your colleagues, patients, and their families.
The centres are fast paced with daytime hours, and tasks vary throughout each shift, collaborating with colleagues throughout different departments. Unit Clerks are valued members of the BC Cancer Centre teams, working in areas such as Systemic Therapy Program, Radiation Therapy Program, Radiation/Medical Daycare Unit, Surgical Oncology, Ambulatory Clinic, Research Labs and Clinical Trials.
Watch this video to learn about being a Unit Clerk at BC Cancer: https://youtu.be/VUFjYDZlhKs
What you’ll do
- Transcribe and process clinician orders by completing and forwarding requisitions for tests or services, using the electronic health record system to schedule; tests or services with the appropriate departments/processes; return appointments, appointments of various types and related data into the electronic health record, and communicate various information according to procedure.
- Organize diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients by co-ordinating numerous interrelated appointments. Prepare and communicate related instructions to patients in person, by telephone, by mail or virtual.
- Gather patient information for medical appointments to assist in facilitating an efficient patient flow. Request, receive and transport patient information to designated clinical area. Prepare documents for clinical team and patient.
- Perform a variety of receptionist duties such as greeting and registering patients and supporting way finding, answering the telephone/switchboard and responding in person by triage inquiries, relaying verbal and written messages.
- Participate in the onboarding and orientation of staff through methods such as demonstrating work procedures and answering related queries. Support student clinical practicums as required
What you’ll do
The clinic’s Unit Clerk performs a wide range of tasks to support the compassionate and timely care provided to our patients and their families:
- Transcribe and process physician’s orders
- Coordinate patient appointments
- Arrange patient tests and receive results
- Assemble and maintain patient charts
- Answer telephones and enter data
What you bring
Qualifications and Certifications
- Grade 12 graduation
- Graduation from an approved Nursing Unit Clerk program
- Working knowledge of medical terminology
- One year of recent, related experience or an equivalent of education, training and experience
Skills and Experience
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing; interacts in a positive manner with others, including patients and their families, general public and staff/physicians across the agency
- Confident in using various software applications and related equipment
- Approaches daily work in an organized and efficient manner; sets appropriate priorities
- Keyboard 40 wpm minimum
- Physically carry out the duties of the position
Need more information? Contact Anitha Bekal, Talent Acquisition Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Two (2) Temporary, Full-Time Opportunities
Wage: $25.51 per hour
Location: 600 W 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E6
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- 123913 (Until April 28, 2023) - Monday to Friday; 07:30, 08:00, 08:30, 09:00
- 124365 (Until April 14, 2023) - Monday to Friday; 08:00, 08:30
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.