More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Unit Clerk, Oncology, Hematology, and BMT Inpatient Unit - BC Children's Hospital
Unit Clerk, Oncology, Hematology and BMT Inpatient Unit
BC Children’s Hospital, $24.46 per hour
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What you’ll do
- Answer the telephone, take and relay messages, call/page appropriate personnel to telephone for physician’s orders and patient diagnoses reports, and send/receive faxed information.
- Enter patient information into Cerner system for discharge, transfer to other facilities and transfer between units.
- Make appropriate arrangements for patients requiring procedures, both inside and outside the facility such as laboratory tests, CT scans and ultrasounds by booking appointment times, booking ambulance as instructed, and informing applicable care provider.
- Transcribe and process physicians’ orders to appropriate forms i.e.: medication record, kardex, for laboratory tests, medications, diagnostic tests and treatments for Registered Nurse (RN)’s approval. Notify primary RN of stat orders.
- Check all charts for any physician’s orders not processed by the end of every shift, process these orders as necessary, and notify the charge nurse immediately with any questions related to unprocessed orders.
- Prepare charts for new admissions by performing such duties as making identification labels, imprinting chart sheets and attaching physicians’ standing orders.
- Maintain patient records including filing loose reports as they arrive on the nursing unit, retrieving previous charts for mothers of newborns from Health Records if requested. Dismantle patient charts on discharge or transfer by distributing and filing sheets according to established procedures and ensuring all patient’s documents in chart.
- Prepare charts for patient transfers to other facilities, by photocopying necessary information or sending information via FAX or by computer.
- Complete demographic information on forms for Vital Statistics including physician’s Notice of Birth, in accordance with hospital policies and Vital Statistics regulations.
- Notify departments such as Dietary and Housekeeping, of patient’s requirements including discharge or transfer.
- Perform related clerical duties such as compiling, preparing and maintaining statistics under the direction of the Program Manager, producing reports, delivering and picking up items, maintaining departmental levels of stationery and office supplies, notifying appropriate personnel of equipment repair and maintenance, and preparing necessary documentation.
What you bring
- Grade 12 graduation.
- Graduation from an approved Nursing Unit Clerk program.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- One (1) year of recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
You also have the ability to:
- Keyboard at least 40 wpm.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Utilize a variety of computer software applications
- Organize your work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time - Two (2) Opportunities!
Wage: $24.46 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver, V6H 2N9
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday
- 118201: Regular, Full-Time – Shift times: 13:00-21:00
- 118265: Regular, Full-Time – Shift times: 10:00-18:00
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children and youth from across British Columbia.
BCCH is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCH are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.