More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Coordinator, Research Funds Services, Deeley Research Centre - BC Cancer - Victoria, BC
Coordinator, Research Funds Services, Deeley Research Centre
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
You are a mid-level finance coordinator who loves the details and prefers that projects move along at a fast and productive pace. You’re looking to bring your skills to a team with greater purpose, and to make your own impact on the world. This role with BC Cancer might be the perfect fit for you – you will work with a small team of people who support a world class cancer research centre and immunotherapy clinical trials. You’ll oversee a portfolio of projects with accountability to meet multiple deadlines, and ultimately contribute to cancer research that will support people in your community, B.C., and beyond.
What you’ll do
The Coordinator, Research Funds Services works within BC Cancer’s Research Institute program, and provides research financial reporting and administration on assigned grant funded programs. This role monitors research projects and researches grant budgets; coordinates the development and submission of research financial reports; liaises with PHSA restricted funds finance team to ensure grants financial information is accurately maintained; monitors and tracks receipts and disbursements; and assists with the management, allocation and coordination of research funds among partners and stakeholders. Key accountabilities include:
- Monitor research expenditures, and reviews and analyzes research financial information of assigned grant funded programs for the Administrator, research business operations, and research project managers to assist with planning budgets; ensure research budgets remain within allowable spending limits; investigate, identify, and correct errors/discrepancies.
- Prepare and review research purchase orders and expense claims to ensure applicability and correct expense coding. Verify appropriate back-up provided and ensures compliance with PHSA policy as well as external funding agency policies.
- Reconcile the research general ledger, research corporate card purchases, research capital expenditures, research payroll reports and receivables to ensure accuracy and timely follow-up.
- Prepare research billing invoices based on the general ledger on a weekly, quarterly and ad-hoc basis to ensure timely collection of revenue from external funding agencies.
- Communicate internally with Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and PHSA Finance and provides direction on account coding to accurately reflect nature of research financial transaction.
- Provide support during annual and interim audits by compiling research general ledger information and ensuring proper documentation is kept on file.
What you bring
- Diploma in Accounting/Financial Management or pursuing a professional designation program, or an equivalent level of education, training and experience
- 3+ years of recent and related experience in a multi-government, institutional setting, including experience working with national and international granting and funding bodies.
Knowledge & Skills
- Experience working with General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in a post-secondary or life science environment; additional knowledge of the university/health care funding process and procurement practices will be an asset.
- Knowledge of grant management and familiarity with granting agencies’ guidelines and policies.
- Productively use word processing, excel spreadsheets, financial reporting and project/budget management applications, working independently with minimal direction.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, including effective supervision and providing direction to junior staff.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Location: Deeley Research Centre, 2410 Lee Avenue, Victoria, V8R 4Z3
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition Number # 129970
Salary Range: $50,150-$65,822 /year. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate’s relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan. Salary will be prorated accordingly for part time roles.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LM Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of July 18, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day