More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Medical Secretary, Clinical
BC Cancer Victoria
Are you efficient and organized, with a keen eye for detail? Help our clinic run effectively so we can provide the support our staff need to deliver the best possible patient care.
What you’ll do
- Perform secretarial and administrative duties for appropriate medical staff.
- Receive, screen and prioritize incoming calls from doctors’ offices and patients; take messages, relaying information to and from doctors’ offices and referring hospitals.
- Arrange appropriate action for urgent follow-up appointments and simulator or therapy bookings as indicated by specific physicians, in conjunction with appropriate staff such as Nursing, Radiotherapy Planning or Radiotherapy Treatment.
- Ensure that requests for relevant supporting investigations from referring hospitals and physicians are forwarded to appropriate departments for immediate action. Follow-up as required.
- Prepare physician itineraries, establishing a system whereby physicians can be contacted on urgent matters.
What you bring
- Grade 12 graduation.
- Graduation from a recognized secretarial program.
- Completion of a recognized course in medical transcription.
- Three (3) years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You have demonstrated ability to:
- Keyboard 60 wpm.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Organize work.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Operate related equipment.
Job Type: Casual
Location: Victoria BC
Hours of Work: 0800-1600, 0830-1630, 0900-1700
Requisition # 91076
What we do
BC Cancer (BCC) bccancer.bc.ca provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia. BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.