More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Medical Secretary, Vancouver Island Centre
BC Cancer, Victoria
What you’ll do
- Perform secretarial and administrative duties for appropriate Medical Staff.
- Receive, screen and prioritize incoming calls from doctors’ offices and patients.
- Arrange appropriate action for urgent follow-up appointments, simulator or therapy bookings as indicated by specific physicians and in conjunction with appropriate staff such as Nursing, Radiotherapy Planning or Radiotherapy Treatment.
- Ensure that requests for relevant supporting investigations from referring hospitals and physicians are forwarded to appropriate Clinic departments for immediate action
- Prepare physician itineraries on a regular basis and establishes a system whereby physicians can be contacted on urgent matters.
- Liaise with British Columbia Cancer Agency Library Staff and others as required.
- Access patient information system to retrieve confidential patient data.
- Ensure that timely follow-up action is taken by Medical Staff in response to telephone messages.
- Participate in drafting of departmental directives and procedures; liaises with administration regarding modification to and creation of Clinic directives and procedures.
- Maintain familiarity with Clinic and British Columbia Cancer Agency directives and procedures, particularly those related to patient care; provides information to clinic physician as required.
- Assist with gathering of reports relating to workload measurement and Quality Assurance.
- Type urgent annotations in Clinic charts as directed by physician according to Clinic and Agency Health Records policies and procedures.
- Ensure that requests by Medical Staff for urgently needed reports are acted upon by appropriate Clinic departments.
- Maintain related filing and record keeping systems.
- Transcribe reports and papers for publication from handwritten or dictated material utilizing personal computer.
- Assist physicians in independent clinical research projects using resources within British Columbia Cancer Agency Clinics’ Health Records Departments.
- Arrange registration for meetings and conferences, books hotel accommodations and makes travel arrangements consistent with Agency policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
What you bring
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription.
- Three years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Keyboard at 60 wpm
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Deal with others effectively
- Organize work
- Physically able to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
Job type: Casual
Hours of work: 0800-1600, 0830-1630, 0900-1700, or as operations require
Reference number: 101460
What we do
BC Cancer bccancer.bc.ca, part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.