More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Research Assistant II, Deeley Research Centre - BC Cancer Victoria
Research Assistant II, Deeley Research Centre
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Fun Facts About Victoria:
- Victoria is the capital city of the Canadian province of British Columbia, on the southern tip of Vancouver Island off Canada's Pacific coast. The city has a population of approximately 85,792, and the Greater Victoria Area has a population of 367,770.
- Friendly is an understatement: Victoria has been named both the Most Romantic City in Canada and one of the top 15 Friendliest Cities in the World.
- Other accolades include: Canada’s Best City to Live in for Women, and both the Seventh Best City and Second Best Small City in the world (by international travel and tourism magazine, Condé Nast).
- The city has retained a large number of its historic buildings, in particular its two most famous landmarks, the Parliament Buildings (finished in 1897 and home of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia) and the Empress hotel (opened in 1908).
- Time for tea? Half a million cups are served annually at the Fairmont Empress.
- Victoria is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the country, with hundreds of kilometres of cycle paths, bike lanes and routes in the city, including the incomparable Galloping Goose Regional Trail.
- The city's Chinatown is the second oldest in North America after San Francisco's.
- Like Whale Watching? Victoria’s waters are home to three resident pods of orca (killer) whales totaling 76 whales.
The city of Victoria has a lot to offer! Visit Tourism Victoria to find out more here!
BC Cancer - Victoria’s Trev and Joyce Deeley Research Centre is a world class cancer research facility specializing in cancer immunotherapy. We are seeking a Research Assistant 2 (RA2) to help develop novel therapies that promote anti-cancer immune responses. The RA2 role a two-year position with the possibility of extension based on funding and performance.
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator and Senior Research Assistant, the successful applicant will play an important role in completion of pre-clinical studies that will enable clinical trials with cutting edge immunotherapies to treat cancer. This opportunity will allow the candidate to develop a diverse skill set and expand upon existing core competencies. In this role the RA2 will culture primary/secondary cell lines, perform a variety of in vitro/in vivo immunological assays, and conduct murine tumour studies. The RAII will also be responsible for data management, record keeping, general lab maintenance, and other duties as required.
The position will periodically require the successful applicant to work outside regular work hours including weekends and evenings.
What you’ll do as a Research Assistant at BC Cancer in Victoria
- Perform a variety of established technical procedures according to written protocols.
- Perform experiments by following established laboratory procedures according to written protocols.
- Record results, including computer data entry.
- Provide input regarding modification of procedures as requested by the Department Head, Principal Investigator, or designate.
- Maintain and store cell lines and primary cultures.
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to graduation from a recognized Bachelor’s program in an appropriate discipline (e.g. Bachelor of Science); plus two (2) years of recent related experience in a research laboratory.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (1.00 FTE) until Jan 3rd, 2024
2410 Lee Ave, Victoria, BC V8R 6V5
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 8:30-16:30
Requisition Number: 117822
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 18, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.