More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Secretary, BC Cancer, Victoria BC
Are you a highly organized person with strong administrative skills? The Secretary provides secretarial and administrative support within a team setting. Maintains a safe environment for patients, families and staff by adhering to safety policies, procedures, guidelines and emergency procedures.
What you’ll do
- Receive calls from all sources including patients; refer calls to other parties or provides information as appropriate and:
a. Determine urgency of incoming calls and takes appropriate action.
b. Relay information to and from clinical staff and outside facilities.
c. Obtain reports by contacting appropriate departments or outside sources.
d. Coordinate appointments and test for patients in collaboration with the clinical team.
e. Access patient information system to retrieve patient data, as appropriate.
f. Greet visitors and handle enquiries.
- Arrange meetings/conferences and associated logistics. Act as a recording secretary by preparing agenda; drafting, typing and distributing minutes. Prepare materials as required.
- Open, screen, prioritize and distribute mail. Maintain information and correspondence.
- Format and edit documents for correspondence. Draft routine items for signature as required.
- Assist with collecting, collating, formatting and preparing reports as required.
- Assist clinicians in preparation of research documents and grant applications as required by collating information and updating documents.
- Assist with clinician scheduling, timekeeping and collaborating with the clinical team for coverage as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to keyboard at 50 wpm.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type Regular Full-Time
Wage $26.65 per hour
Location Victoria BC
Hours of work 0730-1530, 0800-1600, 0830-1630, 0900-1700
Reference number 133113
What we do
BC Cancer bccancer.bc.ca provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia. BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.