Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Ambulatory Care - BC Cancer - Surrey
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Ambulatory Care
Your nursing care is the real deal: caring for people is what you do with both passion and purpose. Whether compassionately explaining a procedure to a patient, or readying an empty examination room for the next visit – you see the impact your care and attention has on your patients, their families, and your colleagues. Cancer care is close to your oversized heart, and working with a team of like-minded health care professionals is the career opportunity you’ve been seeking.
What you’ll do
- Prepare patients for examination by performing duties such as escorting patients to the examining room, weighing patients, assisting them with undressing and providing comfort measures.
- Prepare examining rooms for patient consultations and examinations by performing duties such as checking and laying out clean instruments, stocking rooms with required supplies, cleaning and making up room for next patient and collecting used instruments and sending to central processing for sterilization.
- Assist nursing and medical staff with physical examinations by performing duties such as handing and receiving instruments and supplies, receiving and preparing specimens through methods such as levelling, attaching completed requisitions and placing in receptacles and/or delivering to the laboratory.
- Perform a variety of nursing procedures such as catheterizations and sterile dressings by performing duties such as applying and changing sterile or non-sterile dressings, colostomy care and irrigation, taking/recording blood pressure and/or rectal temperature, administering suppositories and enemas, taking temperatures, pulse and/or respiration. Record observations and report problems and/or changes to designated staff.
- Perform a variety of clerical duties such as organizing appointment lists, films and reports for clinic and ensuring charts are returned for order processing after examination, answering telephones, filing and typing utilizing a variety of software packages.
- Maintains instruments and equipment such as nasopharyngoscopes and ophthalmoscopes by performing duties such as cleaning through methods such as operating steris system, checking function, reporting malfunctioning equipment to Leader for action and storing instruments and equipment ready for next procedure.
- Assists patients with activities of daily living by performing duties such as providing personal care including assisting with toilet needs, providing comfort measures such as positioning and assisting with nourishments including serving and collecting meal trays and feeding patients.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Current full practicing licensure with the British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives (BCCNM).
You have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- To physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Sight Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Help us maintain the highest patient survival rate in Canada.
- Use state-of-the-art technology and the latest, evidence-based treatments.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Be a respected member of Canada's collaborative leading oncology clinical teams.
- Grow your career through continuing education, ongoing professional development, and certification programs.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Casual
Wage: $31.89 to $43.65 per hour.
Location: 13750 96 Ave, Surrey, BC V3V 1Z2
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Hours of Work: As operations require
Requisition #: CAS-155074E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
Our Programs Explore to find the right program for you at PHSA.
Clinical and Systems Transformations | Careers at PHSA Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) is a large-scale, multi-year project between Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH), PHSA, and PHC. Learn more here.
Rewarding Health Care Nursing Careers and Jobs with PHSA Provide specialty nursing in clinical health care and research. Explore careers throughout B.C. with the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Indigenous Health Care Jobs and Careers with PHSA Join our thriving Indigenous workforce in a corporate or clinical role. Explore careers in B.C. with the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Physician Careers at PHSA Our PHSA medical leadership team provides care that is among the best in the world, contributing to research that is changing the future of health care.
Health Care Correctional Health Services Jobs and Careers With PHSA Correctional Health Services provides exceptional care for incarcerated patients. Join us in a career with Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Jobs for You
You have not recently viewed any jobs
You have not saved any jobs